On October 29, 1923, the newly recognized Turkish parliament proclaimed the establishment of the Republic of Turkey, formally marking the end of the Ottoman Empire. On the same day, Mustafa Kemal, who led the Turkish National War of Liberation and was later named Atatürk (father of Turks), was unanimously elected as the first president of the Republic.
Turkey had effectively been a republic from April 23, 1920 when the Grand National Assembly was inaugurated in Ankara. When the Turkish parliament held its first session in 1920, virtually every corner of the crumbling Ottoman Empire was under the occupation of Allied powers. Exasperated by the Ottoman government's inability to fight the occupation, the nationwide resistance movement gained momentum. With the Allied occupation of Istanbul and the dissolution of the Ottoman Parliament, Mustafa Kemal's justification for opening the resistance movement's new legislative body was created.
With the opening of the Assembly, Ankara became the center of the Turkish national struggle for liberation. The National War of Liberation culminated in the emancipation of Anatolia from foreign occupation, the international recognition of modern Turkey's borders by the Treaty of Lausanne, and finally, the founding of the Republic of Turkey on October 29, 1923. October 29, or Republic Day, is an official Turkish holiday celebrated each year across Turkey and by peoples of Turkish heritage worldwide.
Following the founding of the Republic of Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk embarked on a wide-ranging set of reforms in the political, economic and cultural aspects of Turkish society. These reforms have left a lasting legacy of which the peoples of Turkish heritage are proud: the conversion of the newly founded Republic into today's modern, democratic and secular Turkish state.
TCA Celebrates the 92nd Anniversary of Turkish Republic Day
2015 News and Events
- TCA 2014 Annual Report ReleasedTCA’s 2014 Annual Report is now av...read more
- Remembering Music Pioneer Ahmet Ertegun ...read more
- TCA 2016 Summer Internship ProgramThe Turkish Coalition of America (TCA) i...read more
- TCA Concludes Second Annual Turkish American Youth Leadership Congressread more
- TCA Commemorates the Lasting Legacy of Mustafa Kemal Ataturkread more
- TCA Celebrates the 92nd Anniversary of Turkish Republic Dayread more
- Europe’s Highest Court Affirms Right to Speak Against the Armenian Allegatioread more
- Turkish American Dr. Aziz Sancar Wins Nobel Prize in Chemistryread more
- 2015 TCA Summer Interns in Washington, DC...read more
- TCA President’s “Turkey’s Safe Harbor” Op-Ed Published by The Hillread more
- Congressman Steve Chabot Visits TCAOn June 25, Congressman Steve Chabot (R...read more
- Turkey-Indian Country Ties at 2015 Reservation Economic Summit (RES DC)read more
- 2015 Turkish American Youth Leadership Congressread more
- TCA President Visits Refugee Camps in Southeastern Turkeyread more
- April 24th, 1915 Gallipoli Centenary:...read more
- Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu Visits TCAread more
- TCA Hosts Forum for Business ExecutivesOn March 25, 2015, TCA hosted the first ...read more
- TCA Presents at CHCI Study Abroad PanelOn March 13, 2015, TCA Project Coordinat...read more
- TCA and Atlantic Council Announce New Partnership for Intern Programread more
- TCA Hosts Launch Event & Networking Reception for Future Leaders Seriesread more
- TCA Hosts Graduate Students from Bahcesehir Universityread more
- Youth Congress
- Issues & Information
- Turkish American Community
- U.S. Congress
- The Turkey Caucus
- News & Events